Federal

Spellings Hits Road, Stresses Charter Plan

By Alyson Klein — January 30, 2007 3 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

The day after the Bush administration unveiled its most detailed plans yet for renewing the No Child Left Behind Act, Secretary of Education Margaret Spellings selected a charter high school here as the first stop in a campaign to sell a plan that includes expanding the role of charter schools and revamping high school instruction.

“People ask me, ‘Is No Child Left Behind possible?’ And I say yes, it’s absolutely possible. And people say where is that happening, and I say right here at Noble Street,” Secretary Spellings said on Jan. 25 at a student assembly at Noble Street Charter High School, which was founded under a charter from the Chicago school board. It was her first school visit after Mr. Bush’s Jan. 23 State of the Union address. “I am very encouraged by the innovation that’s going on here. … We need to open up more charter schools where they are needed.”

See Also

The administration’s plan would make it easier for districts to turn faltering regular public schools into charters. The administration said it would support local decisions to reopen schools identified as needing improvement under the No Child Left Behind law as charters, even if state law limits the number of those independent public schools.

But that idea is likely to face opposition in the Democratic-controlled Congress. Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., the chairman of the Senate Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions Committee, said in a statement last week that he was “disappointed that the administration has proposed circumventing state law with respect to worker protections [in teacher contracts] and other issues,” including charter school laws.

Secretary Spellings told reporters here that the proposal had been carefully vetted by federal lawyers and would not violate state laws. She also hinted that there would be increased federal spending on education in President Bush’s budget proposal next week, something Democratic leaders say is necessary to gain their support for renewing the NCLB law this year.

“I’m confident we’ll be putting our money where our mouth is,” said Ms. Spellings, although she declined to provide specifics. The last two White House budget proposals sought to level-fund K-12 education spending, including Title I grants to states.

The Bush administration has also been urging states and districts to offer extra pay to effective teachers who are willing to go to low-performing schools. Last year, the 426,000-student Chicago school district received a $30 million grant from the Department of Education’s Teacher Incentive Fund for that purpose.

Arne Duncan, the chief executive officer of the Chicago system, highlighted that proposal in his remarks at Noble Street. “For the first time ever, we are going to put great teachers in the schools that need the most help,” he said.

Emphasis on College Prep

The 450-plus-student Noble Street Charter High School appeared to embody curricular and governance principles that the administration would like to implement nationally.

The administration’s NCLB plan calls for schools to offer rigorous courses, particularly at the high school level. At Noble Street, students receive about 25 percent more mathematics and reading instruction than their peers in other public high schools in Chicago, according to Michael Milkie, the superintendent of the three-campus Noble Network of Charter Schools.

The administration’s proposal calls for states to report how many students complete Advanced Placement courses, including data for subgroups such as racial minorities.

Noble Street’s curriculum emphasizes college preparation and includes a course called College Writing, in which students work on their applications for admission and research financial-aid options.

A version of this article appeared in the January 31, 2007 edition of Education Week as Spellings Hits Road, Stresses Charter Plan

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Assessment Webinar
Reflections on Evidence-Based Grading Practices: What We Learned for Next Year
Get real insights on evidence-based grading from K-12 leaders.
Content provided by Otus
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Student Well-Being Webinar
Creating Resilient Schools with a Trauma-Responsive MTSS
Join us to learn how school leaders are building a trauma-responsive MTSS to support students & improve school outcomes.
School & District Management Live Online Discussion A Seat at the Table: We Can’t Engage Students If They Aren’t Here: Strategies to Address the Absenteeism Conundrum
Absenteeism rates are growing fast. Join Peter DeWitt and experts to learn how to re-engage students & families.

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Opinion The U.S. Dept. of Ed. Has Been Cut in Half. We Have Thoughts
Absent clear explanation and deft management, the push to downsize the department invites confusion and risks political blowback.
7 min read
The United States Capitol building as a bookcase filled with red, white, and blue policy books in a Washington DC landscape.
Luca D'Urbino for Education Week
Federal Linda McMahon Abruptly Tells States Their Time to Spend COVID Relief Has Passed
Secretary Linda McMahon said the Education Department would no longer honor the extensions it had granted states.
3 min read
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives before President Donald Trump attends a reception for Women's History Month in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, March 26, 2025, in Washington.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives before President Donald Trump attends a reception for Women's History Month in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, March 26, 2025, in Washington. In a letter Friday, McMahon told state leaders on March 28 that their time to spend remaining COVID relief funds would end that same day.
Jacquelyn Martin/AP
Federal McMahon Says Schools With 'Gender Plans' Could Be Violating Federal Privacy Law
The U.S. Department of Education opened investigations under FERPA into two states, alleging violations of parents' rights.
5 min read
Secretary of Education Linda McMahon speaks to reporters at the White House in Washington, Thursday, March 20, 2025.
Secretary of Education Linda McMahon speaks to reporters at the White House in Washington, Thursday, March 20, 2025. McMahon said that the U.S. Department of Education would make a "revitalized effort" to pursue federal student privacy law violations for parents' rights, asserting that school "gender plans" that aren't available to parents violate the federal law.
Ben Curtis/AP
Federal Dramatic Cuts to Ed. Data Programs Will Have Far-Reaching Consequences, Researchers Warn
Education research organizations asked Congress to intervene in cuts to ed. data, research staff.
6 min read
Image of performance data analysis.
NicoElNino/iStock/Getty