After Early Progress, Ky. School Struggles to Turn Around
Low scores mean future uncertain for Shawnee
After three years, a $1.5 million investment, a huge staffing shake-up, and an assist from some of the state's veteran educators, the long-troubled former Shawnee High School here remains on tenuous ground.
The school, now called the Academy @ Shawnee, looked like an early success story for the newly supercharged—and controversial—School Improvement Grant program. Just one year after joining the high-profile, federally financed effort to turn around the nation's lowest-performing schools, Shawnee posted double-digit gains in reading and math.
But then, the landscape changed. Kentucky—a leader in the national effort to implement uniform, rigorous standards—put in place a new curriculum and assessments that demanded much more of Shawnee's students, many of whom entered...
This article is available to subscribers only.
To keep reading this article and more, subscribe now or start a 2-week FREE trial.
Access selected articles, e-newsletters and more!
- Executive Director
- Doctors Charter School, Miami Shores, FL
- Immediate Teaching Positions Available at New Visions! Apply Now!
- New Visions for Public Schools, NY
- Assistant Professor of Educational Administration
- Mississippi State University, Mississippi State, MS
- Superintendent of Schools - SAU 9
- SAU 9 - Conway, NH, Conway, NH
- English Teacher
- MVCSD, Mount Vernon, NY