Federal

Gore Unveils Pledge To Expand Child-Health-Insurance Program

By Joetta L. Sack — September 15, 1999 2 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Campaigning for support for his 2000 presidential bid, Vice President Al Gore last week proposed dramatically expanding children’s access to health insurance.

The Democratic candidate outlined his plan in a Sept. 7 speech in Los Angeles, one of the first announcements from his domestic-policy platform.

His proposal would expand eligibility criteria under the 2-year-old Children’s Health Insurance Program, a Clinton administration initiative, to allow more children from low-income families to receive benefits.

About 1.3 million children are now covered under the low-cost health-insurance program, known as CHIP, and Mr. Gore’s staff estimates another 1 million would be eligible for free benefits. The campaign did not release an estimate of how much Mr. Gore’s plan would cost.

Last month, meanwhile, the Clinton administration stepped up efforts to publicize CHIP because officials said up to 6 million children may be currently eligible but are not enrolled. CHIP covers children from birth to age 18 whose families have low incomes but are ineligible for Medicaid.

“The steps I am proposing today will guarantee access to affordable health coverage for every child in America and will provide more affordable health-care options for millions more adults,” Mr. Gore said in Los Angeles. “If you elect me president, I will ensure that, by the year 2005, every single child in our country has full access to fully affordable health coverage.”

Intensive Research

And if a family did not meet the income requirements, parents could still purchase insurance from the plan, regardless of income.

The initiative would also include incentives for states to identify and enroll children and an intensive outreach campaign. The vice president’s announcement was part of a broader health-care initiative that will become a cornerstone of his campaign.

Mr. Gore is considered the leading candidate for the Democratic nomination for president. His sole Democratic rival, former Sen. Bill Bradley of New Jersey, has not outlined his specific policy goals. The leading Republican candidate, Gov. George W. Bush of Texas, made his first major policy address on education Sept. 2. Mr. Bush proposed holding schools more accountable for federal aid, particularly under the $8 billion Title I program. (“Bush Zeroes In on Accountability for Federal K-12 Funds,” Sept. 8, 1999.)

Commenting on Mr. Gore’s chip proposal, Gregg Haifley, the deputy director of the health division of the Washington-based Children’s Defense Fund, said: “While we’re disappointed the program hasn’t taken off faster than it has, we recognize this is a new program. We appreciate when national political leaders say it’s important to cover all uninsured kids.”

Mr. Gore’s announcement was also hailed by some education groups. Sandra Feldman, the president of the 1 million-member American Federation of Teachers, said the vice president’s “priorities are precisely on target.”

“America should be a country in which all children have access to affordable health insurance,” she said in a written statement.

Related Tags:

Events

Student Well-Being & Movement K-12 Essentials Forum How Schools Are Teaching Students Life Skills
Join this free virtual event to explore creative ways schools have found to seamlessly integrate teaching life skills into the school day.
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Special Education Webinar
Bridging the Math Gap: What’s New in Dyscalculia Identification, Instruction & State Action
Discover the latest dyscalculia research insights, state-level policy trends, and classroom strategies to make math more accessible for all.
Content provided by TouchMath
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
School & District Management Webinar
Too Many Initiatives, Not Enough Alignment: A Change Management Playbook for Leaders
Learn how leadership teams can increase alignment and evaluate every program, practice, and purchase against a clear strategic plan.
Content provided by Otus

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Quiz Quiz Yourself: How Polarized Do You Think Educators Are?
The EdWeek Research Center examined the degree to which K-12 educators are split along partisan lines. Quiz yourself and see the results.
1 min read
Federal Could Another Federal Shutdown Affect Education? What We Know
After federal agents shot a Minneapolis man on Saturday, Democrats are now pulling support for a spending bill due by Friday.
5 min read
The US Capitol is seen on Jan. 22, 2026, in Washington. Another federal shutdown that could impact education looms and could begin as soon as this weekend.
The U.S. Capitol is seen on Jan. 22, 2026, in Washington. Another federal shutdown that could affect education looms if senators don't pass a funding bill by this weekend.
Mariam Zuhaib/AP
Federal Trump Admin. Drops Legal Appeal Over Anti-DEI Funding Threat to Schools and Colleges
It leaves in place a federal judge’s decision finding that the anti-DEI effort violated the First Amendment and federal procedural rules.
1 min read
Education Secretary Linda McMahon speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Thursday, Nov. 20, 2025, in Washington.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon speaks with reporters in the James Brady Press Briefing Room at the White House, Thursday, Nov. 20, 2025, in Washington.
Alex Brandon/AP
Federal Ed. Dept. Opens Fewer Sexual Violence Investigations as Trump Dismantles It
Sexual assault investigations fell after office for civil rights layoffs last year.
6 min read
The U.S. Department of Education building is pictured on Oct. 24, 2025, in Washington, D.C.
The U.S. Department of Education building is pictured on Oct. 24, 2025, in Washington. The federal agency is opening fewer sexual violence investigations into schools and colleges following layoffs at its office for civil rights last year.
Maansi Srivastava for Education Week