Federal

New York, Arizona At Odds With Ed. Dept. Over English Testing

By Mary Ann Zehr — July 11, 2006 2 min read
  • Save to favorites
  • Print

Federal education officials have told New York Commissioner of Education Richard P. Mills that his state must change the way it tests English-learners or lose federal aid.

See Also

Tom Dunn, a spokesman for the New York State Department of Education, responded in an e-mail message to Education Week last week that state officials are willing to “arrive at a solution,” but that it is “premature to outline a solution now.”

Under the federal No Child Left Behind Act, states must include English-language learners in regular standardized assessments in reading and mathematics and use those scores in calculating schools’ and districts’ yearly progress toward statewide achievement goals.

During their first year in the United States, however, English-learners don’t have to take a state’s regular reading test, though they must take the regular math test and an English-language-proficiency test. In addition, states don’t have to include English-learners’ scores in reading and math in calculations of adequate yearly progress until the students’ second round of annual state testing.

New York, however, has continued to use its English-proficiency test, called the New York State ESL Achievement Test, or NYSESLAT, as a substitute for the state’s regular English-language-arts test for the second and third times that English-learners participate in statewide testing.

A June 27 letter from the U.S. Department of Education to Mr. Mills said that New York must stop that practice if it is to continue to receive its full amount of Title I funds. The federal department gave the state an “approval pending” rating for its assessment system because of how it uses the NYSESLAT for accountability and for an issue concerning how it assesses special education students. (“Department Raps States on Testing,” this issue.)

The federal officials gave New York 25 business days from receipt of the letter to submit a plan for complying with the NCLB law for the 2006-07 school year. If the state doesn’t stick with its plan, the letter said, it will lose 10 percent of its Title 1, Part A, administrative funds, for fiscal 2006.

Arizona Issue

Meanwhile, Arizona state Superintendent of Public Instruction Tom Horne is threatening to sue the U.S. government over another matter regarding English-language learners and accountability.

He maintains that the federal government made an oral agreement with Arizona that permits the state to exclude the test scores of English-learners in calculations of adequate yearly progress for the first three years the students are in U.S. schools.

“The big issue is keeping one’s promises,” Mr. Horne said in an interview. Arizona received a letter from the federal Education Department on June 30 approving the state’s assessment system. The letter added that such approval doesn’t resolve the dispute the federal government has with Arizona concerning how it is calculating adequate yearly progress for English-learners.

“We will continue to work to resolve that issue,” the letter said.

A version of this article appeared in the July 12, 2006 edition of Education Week as New York, Arizona At Odds With Ed. Dept. Over English Testing

Events

This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Assessment Webinar
Reflections on Evidence-Based Grading Practices: What We Learned for Next Year
Get real insights on evidence-based grading from K-12 leaders.
Content provided by Otus
This content is provided by our sponsor. It is not written by and does not necessarily reflect the views of Education Week's editorial staff.
Sponsor
Student Well-Being Webinar
Creating Resilient Schools with a Trauma-Responsive MTSS
Join us to learn how school leaders are building a trauma-responsive MTSS to support students & improve school outcomes.
School & District Management Live Online Discussion A Seat at the Table: We Can’t Engage Students If They Aren’t Here: Strategies to Address the Absenteeism Conundrum
Absenteeism rates are growing fast. Join Peter DeWitt and experts to learn how to re-engage students & families.

EdWeek Top School Jobs

Teacher Jobs
Search over ten thousand teaching jobs nationwide — elementary, middle, high school and more.
View Jobs
Principal Jobs
Find hundreds of jobs for principals, assistant principals, and other school leadership roles.
View Jobs
Administrator Jobs
Over a thousand district-level jobs: superintendents, directors, more.
View Jobs
Support Staff Jobs
Search thousands of jobs, from paraprofessionals to counselors and more.
View Jobs

Read Next

Federal Opinion The U.S. Dept. of Ed. Has Been Cut in Half. We Have Thoughts
Absent clear explanation and deft management, the push to downsize the department invites confusion and risks political blowback.
7 min read
The United States Capitol building as a bookcase filled with red, white, and blue policy books in a Washington DC landscape.
Luca D'Urbino for Education Week
Federal Linda McMahon Abruptly Tells States Their Time to Spend COVID Relief Has Passed
Secretary Linda McMahon said the Education Department would no longer honor the extensions it had granted states.
3 min read
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives before President Donald Trump attends a reception for Women's History Month in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, March 26, 2025, in Washington.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon arrives before President Donald Trump attends a reception for Women's History Month in the East Room of the White House, Wednesday, March 26, 2025, in Washington. In a letter Friday, McMahon told state leaders on March 28 that their time to spend remaining COVID relief funds would end that same day.
Jacquelyn Martin/AP
Federal McMahon Says Schools With 'Gender Plans' Could Be Violating Federal Privacy Law
The U.S. Department of Education opened investigations under FERPA into two states, alleging violations of parents' rights.
5 min read
Secretary of Education Linda McMahon speaks to reporters at the White House in Washington, Thursday, March 20, 2025.
Secretary of Education Linda McMahon speaks to reporters at the White House in Washington, Thursday, March 20, 2025. McMahon said that the U.S. Department of Education would make a "revitalized effort" to pursue federal student privacy law violations for parents' rights, asserting that school "gender plans" that aren't available to parents violate the federal law.
Ben Curtis/AP
Federal Dramatic Cuts to Ed. Data Programs Will Have Far-Reaching Consequences, Researchers Warn
Education research organizations asked Congress to intervene in cuts to ed. data, research staff.
6 min read
Image of performance data analysis.
NicoElNino/iStock/Getty